If you have a plan in place in case of a fire, give yourself a pat on the back—but make sure that plan includes your pet too! Today is National Pet Fire Safety Day, and it’s great time to make sure you’re doing everything you can to protect your pet.
Here are a few tips from the American Red Cross and American Kennel Club.
- Include your pet in your family plan.
- When you practice your escape plan, include your pet.
- Prepare a disaster supply kit for your pet.
- Never leave pets unattended around open flames.
- Use flameless candles instead of ones lit with real flames.
- Remove stove knobs or protect them with covers before you leave.
- Use pet notification clings noting the number of pets in the house.