Finding the correct dog breed that fits your lifestyle and personality can be difficult! We have researched some basic guides to help you with this decision. Dog Training Central has compiled a list of questions to ask yourself before selecting a breed. After answering the questions you will be able to choose the breed with a disposition that best fits your unique lifestyle! An example of these questions are:
- What size of dog breed do you favor?
- Can you handle a dog that sheds heavily?
- Is it important that your dog is good with children?
- Will your dog be living with other animals and dogs?
- What energy level should your dog have?
- Will your dog be an inside dog, an outside dog or a bit of both?
- How much and what kind of exercise are you prepared to give on a daily basis?
- Do you suffer from any dog related allergies?
The full list of questions can be found here!
Another way to choose a dog breed is to pick from the top dog breeds recommend by the AKC. They take into consideration many factors to determine this list. The top dogs in the United States in 2011 were:
- Labrador Retriever
- German Shephard
- Golden Retriever
- Yorkshire Terrier
Hopefully discovering the right breed for you and your family is an easy task. We hope these tips have helped!